Morton (1962) noted that the Rothschild wealth was estimated at over $6 billion US in 1850. Not a significant amount in today's dollars; however, consider the potential future value compounded over 147 years!
Taking $6 billion (and assuming no erosion of the wealth base) and compounding that figure at various returns on investment (a conservative range of 4% to 8%) would suggest the following net worth of the Rothschild family enterprise:
$1.9 trillion US (@ 4%)
$7.8 trillion US (@ 5%)
$31.5 trillion US (@ 6%)
$125,189.1 trillion US (@ 7%)
$491,409.0 trillion US (@ 8%)
To give these figures some perspectives consider these benchmarks:
- A little of $300 billion US buys every ounce of gold in every central bank in the world).
- U.S. M3 money supply August 1997 was $5.2 trillion
- U.S. debt is currently $5.4 trillion. (in 2014 it is $17,583 trillion)
- U.S. GDP (1997; 2nd Q.) is $8.03 trillion.
- George Soros' empire is worth an estimated $20 billion.